Starting this week, low-income renters will be able to apply for a one-time, tax-free $500 government top-up to the Canada Housing Benefit program. Here’s what you need to know:
What are the requirements to qualify?
- 15 years of age and older
- Paid rent in 2022 that was equal to at least 30% of their net income in 2021
- Families must have a net income of $35,000 or less, individuals must have a net income of $20,000 or less
- Filed your 2021 tax returns
- Able to prove that you are paying your own rent
How do I apply?
Applicants may apply on the federal government’s website, where they will be asked to provide documentation through a series of online questions. Canada’s Department of Finance said applicants will be asked for their address(es), landlord’s contact information and how much they paid in rent in 2022. The Canadian Revenue Agency may contact selected candidates to verify the information on their applications.
Before applying, the Department of Finance has asked that applicants ensure they have access to their CRA accounts and have set up direct deposit with the agency.
To apply, click here.